[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:53:09 UTC 2014

I makes me nuts when people say "She graduated college." But I try
to stifle my response (unlike one of our friends, who reliably begins to
hurl invective at the teevee). "Graduated from" is going the way of the
older "was graduated from."

Oh, and I do use "like" in common informal speech. Rarely in writing,
though. Only to establish mood and affect.
-M, who thinks it's your language to use as you see fit

Oh, and I observe the use of the verb "to make" is fading away with
many substitutions now in use.  Can't help wondering if there's less
"making" in a post-industrial society. And also the increasing need
for a kind of affected specificity, My mother would have said
"I made a meatloaf." or "I made a sweater," but we now cook & knit.