[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 4 23:49:27 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 23:38, Don Boyd wrote:
> I've heard "Coke" used to mean "any soft drink" rather than the brand
> Coca-Cola.  Likewise "Frigidaire" for any household refrigerator, and
> "Hoover" for any vacuum cleaner.  ("Hoover" is also used as a verb,
> e.g. "I have to hoover the living room.")

Over here Coke is the generic for cola, hence the question in many bars
after you order a cola "It's Pepsi, is that OK?".  If I want cola then I
ask for cola without using the brand name.  As for suction cleaners
(they create a partial but not a total vacuum) I agree that you may
hoover with an Electrolux or whatever. The penalties of being first in
the market - your brand name becomes a generic descriptor.

Roger