[Magdalen] Fwd: Like I Was Puzzled.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 03:31:24 UTC 2014

____________________________________
 From: Cantor03 at aol.com
To: magdalen at herberthouse.orgMay
Sent: 12/4/2014  10:23:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [Magdalen] Like I Was  Puzzled.

In a message dated 12/4/2014 4:10:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

One of  my childhood memories is total mystification about
khakis and car keys.  And our beloved neighbor Mary. We
always visited her on Christmas Eve to  wish her a Mary
Christmas.
-M>>>>>

The linguists are always mentioning whether the Mary-Merry-Marry
"merger is complete" in describing a regional accent.

Many of the Eastern USA areas still have distinct pronunciation of
all three, and others two out of three.  Much of the rest of the  USA
has merged the sounds.

The merger in the Upper Midwest is complete, so attempting to  separate
the pronunciation of the three is very difficult.

One set of the three words:    (though there are endless  variations)

Marry = Maa-ry
Mary  = May-ry
Merry = Mair-ee

David Strang.