[Magdalen] another phase

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 19:41:32 UTC 2014

Since I've gotten ill, I've gotten great comfort in the oddest place: the
prose and poetry of Charles Bukowski.  He can be brutal and ugly, but his
words keep me going.  A few:

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death
will tremble to take us."
"What matters most is how we walk through the fire."

This quote from James Baldwin means a lot to me now, too:

"For nothing is fixed, forever and forever and forever, it is not fixed;
the earth is always shifting, the light is always changing, the sea does
not cease to grind down rock. Generations do not cease to be born, and we
are responsible to them because we are the only witnesses they have. The
sea rises, the light fails, lovers cling to each other, and children cling
to us. The moment we cease to hold each other, the sea engulfs us and the
light goes out."

+++
Grace & peace,
jon