[Magdalen] another phase

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 21:39:05 UTC 2014

Although most patients who attend Hospice here in SA are living with
illness that is getting the better of them over time, that's not the be all
and end all of Palliative care as I understand it. We do Palliative in the
hospital where I work, though not as well as Hospice. Sadly, PE doesn't
have a Hospice in-patient unit any more, just a couple of visiting Sisters
who advise on home care.

It actually fits in quite well with the rehabilitation work that is
our hospital's main focus, though with the palliative care there is a much
greater emphasis on keeping patients comfortable or pain free; and they
won't be pushed to do anything they don't feel like doing. But maximising
mobility and independence, supporting preferred activities, choice about
important aspects of life, quality of life, quality time with family and if
possible at home, support for families and preservation of partner roles -
there is so much common ground between palliative work and rehab.

Prayers continue, Brud, for good help and advice and all the support that
you and Dawn need to continue being the amazing couple you are.

Sally D