[Magdalen] Hog Island?

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:55:23 UTC 2014

Yes, Damariscotta is the pickup location for folks flying in or taking other transportation. Boat sails from Bremen. I'll probably drive, since I have friends in Brunswick.
Now I just have to figure out which of the enticing sessions I want to attend. Each one is five days, and some of them also fall under the Road Scholar umbrella, though they cost more that way and don't have the lowest cost accommodations (think hostel).

I'm leaning toward one involving the arts, though there's also a hands-on that will teach things like bird banding, more advanced study and reporting techniques, etc.

Re puffins, my interest goes back to the year I was nine. I was collecting stamps--sort of--and sending away for some of those packages you could get for a small fee. One of the offers was for a set of stamps from "Puffin Island." I got them and was sure that the birds were actually cartoon characters! Nothing in real life could look like that!
Finally, on a pilgrimage to Iona, I took the ferry over to Staffa and saw my first puffins! In fact, they came right over, and I sat in the grass with them for quite awhile and have some great pictures. I didn't know then that we have them here, as well.  There's a Puffin Project out of Maine and also a live Puffincam site.
I still love them...and I still think they look like cartoon characters!