[Magdalen] Oldies but Goodies.tior

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 22:05:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> I was always taught that the line, "comfort and" is a triplet, and so  it
> tends to drive me crazy when even very good choirs (R. Shaw Chorale) sing
> it
> with two eighth notes on "comfort" and quarter notes on "and joy."

Omigosh, yes! Having heard the triplet during Lessons and Carols from
King's College, I don't like it the other way any more.

Same goes for doing O Come, All Ye Faithful with the bass line staying
on the tonic (often G) for "Faith-" instead of descending to the
leading tone (F#) on that syllable. What the organist does on that
chord can make or break my Christmas. :) Others consider my favored
way to be simply a wrong note. If it's wrong, I don't want it to be
right!

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA