[Magdalen] Music memories

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:28:27 UTC 2014

Kairos did "Herz und Mund und That und Leben" recently.  Funny thing about
that chorale, which is from this cantata: Bach muct have figured out, "Hey,
this is a winner," because he uses the setting twice in the same cantata.

There is a wonderful piece written by Peter Schikele, called "Bach
Portrait," in which he does a wonderful parody of Copeland's "Lincoln
Portrait" making use of much of the Copeland style music, but sneaking in
little Bach snippets.  The narrator gives quotes from the most mundane of
Bach's letters. ".. and this is what he said; this is what Jack Bach said.
He said, ..."

At the very end of the piece, the narrator concludes by saying, "surrounded
by critics and enemies, this is what he said. He said:"

then, along with the orchestra, Schikele, in his nasal baritone simply
sings "La la la, la dee dah, la dee dah, la la la..." using the flowing
river like tune of the counter melody in the famous chorale.  The first
time I heard it, it actually brought tears to me eyes. I think its effect
is the more powerful because we're expecting more little jests, not an
expression of profound truth.

Music! The refuge from the cares of this world!  Nothing else comes close.

Well, cats, maybe....

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente