[Magdalen] And so the year ends.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 04:58:24 UTC 2014

In a message dated 12/23/2014 6:56:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

close  down, with pay, between Dec 24th and Jan 1st,  inclusive,>>>>

I don't know if the US Military still does it, but at least during the  four
years I was in the US Army Medical Corps and stationed in  Frankfurt/M,
Germany, all facilities, including the 97th General Hospital and  Medical
Center went on half time duty (mornings only) for the two week period
around Christmas and New Years.  The holidays themselves, of  course
were a whole day holiday as for all Federal employees.  I rather
expected it would be the same when I went to work for the USVA in
1986, but, sadly, that was not the case.

The USVA didn't have special closures for any reason, even on days
with blizzard weather conditions in the winters, and also on 9/11 and
the subsequent few days.  We soldiered on in a trance at 9/11, going
through the motions but minds in another world through it all.  I  still
haven't
forgiven the powers that be for that.

The two weeks half-time Military duty made for a very nice, relaxed  holiday
season with plenty of time to shop and decorate.

David S.