[Magdalen] Happy Christmas!

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 15:52:18 UTC 2014

Night at the Museum 3, in which he plays Teddy Roosevelt again. It was just
as much fun as the other two, and I teared up at the end, thinking of no
more  of his inspired craziness. Later on we happened to catch one of his
lesser-known films on HBO ("RV"). Neither of us had seen it, and although
it started out pretty much like a lot of Hollywood comedies, he managed to
inject his own brand of sweetness into it so that it ended up not being
just another one of "those". I will miss him very much.

As for the big out-of-control tenor, he's one of those that would be good
if someone would just rein him in! I was reminded of a soprano of my
acquaintance in the town in TN where I lived for years, about whom a story
was whispered. She is from a prominent local family and the story goes that
her father sent her off to the Cincinnati Conservatory to develop her
voice. She was sent back after 6 months with a despairing letter from the
head of the conservatory..."Sorry, but we can't do a thing with her!" It
was always assumed that this was about her, erm, strength of will and not
her voice.