[Magdalen] 30 Years of Sobriety.

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 19:54:34 UTC 2014

I've always said that
if I could quit smoking
anybody can quit smoking.

Drinking is something else again.

Every single one of my friends who didn't quit drinking
is dead now, except for two, one of whom is in her sad
last days.

Over the years I've come to the opinion that people
who drink have a relationship with booze. Like they're
in love. They think about it alot, they talk about it alot,
the tease about it, they dream about it. They make
sweet sweet plans for when they'll be together again.

It's hard to let go of that, and very very hard to do it alone.

Neither of my parents drank except on occasion, and
neither ever had a second drink. But both of my gfs
parents drank themselves to death in their sixties,
and it was awful to walk that road with her. In a way
she handled it better than I did because it had always
been in her life. As she says, when she was little, she
often had conversations with adults who were lying
on the floor.

So I thank God for AA and the hard work people are willing
to do. And for every life ransomed.
-M