[Magdalen] news from home

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:02:20 UTC 2014

Oh, Margaret, now you've done it! When I was a kid, one of our local radio
stations used to broadcast a program of hymns sung by John Charles Thomas,
the opera singer. He was a Methodist minister's kid and had a seemingly
inexhaustible trove of fine old gospel hymns, and one of his apparent
favorites was "Let the Lower Lights Be Burning." I can still hear that fine
Welsh baritone booming....

Brightly beams our Father's mercy
>From His lighthouse evermore
But to us he gives the keeping