[Magdalen] Feeling flu-ey. I'm sure it's a passing phase.

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 19:25:26 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-29, at 4:33 PM, ME Michaud wrote:

> If they costed it out properly, health insurers and employers ought to
> do this at no charge. It saves them a ton of money in healthcare costs
> and/or sick time.

Here in BC (and I believe most, if not all, of Canada) flu shots are free. I just give my health number to the pharmacy, or make an appointment with my primary doc. The same is also true for people under 25 and the hpv shot. Unfortunately, I need extra insurance to cover the shingles vaccine, and it is not cheap (around $250).

Health care workers in BC are also required by law to have the flu vaccine every year unless they have a doc note. Many employers provide a clinic for employees.

I have one every year. Two chronic diseases (and maybe a third), and work with vulnerable populations make a powerful argument for getting it asap.

This year's version did not provide complete protection. I got the flu anyway, but I got over it within a few weeks and without a major chest infection (not unusual for me).

Susan Hutchinson
shutchinsonca at gmail.com