[Magdalen] San Domiano Cross.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed Dec 31 14:04:19 UTC 2014

Reading old, found mail, and interested that this thread is also current,
and also from 5 weeks ago....

St. Raphael's had a Christus Rex, very large, hanging behind their altar.
Apparently when the corpus was added to the plain wooden cross, it caused
huge uproar, but he is very beautiful (a standard figure that can be found
in many church supply catalogs).

My current parish, St. Peter's, where I serve as "extended supply," has a
plain wooden cross hanging in the chancel, but in front of the altar, and
behind is visible a beautiful oculus (oculous?) window.  The starkness of
the dark wood is beautiful with the white walls of the chancel.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
blog:  www.onewildandpreciouslife.typepad.com

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> Do you suppose a large crucifix of any type would make Episcopalians
> nervous?  I think it's a question worth raising.

​I have a small San Damiano that I bought in Assisi in 2005; I wish I could
have afforded a larger one; I've seen them used on the chancel steps or a
small, low easel at Taize services to beautiful effect.​