[Magdalen] Karl Haas, was Re: Tom Magliozzi, RIP

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:20:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford
<oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought it was interesting when he pointed out that the composer's name
> was pronounced  Puh-CHELL bull.  where the CH is like the ch in Bach.

I hear Bob Kerr make the same point on CBC Stereo (back before it was
CBC Radio 2). He sniffed and said too many people pronounce it
"POCK-l-bell," "And there isn't a dictionary in the WORLD that allows
that."

Harumph!

It was funny to see in our WKAR-FM (East Lansing, Mich.) program guide
a letter to the editor asking what that wonderful music was by a
composer named something like "Taco Bell." :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA