[Magdalen] Magdalen] RIP Brittany Maynard

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 04:50:46 UTC 2014

It is not so easy to understand the words. I hope I can shed some light.

I found this very nicely done article on the piece.  The composer, John
Tavener (a descendant of the famous composer John Taverner), had been to a
funeral of a young vibrant Orthodox woman, and had the song in his head
already, but asked for help with the words. The story is really quite
sweet, and is this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_for_Athene

The fine group called the Sixteen has made a good recording of Song, and
the notation is in the illustration. This not only gives you the words, but
Tavener's wonderful way of subtly changing the textures as the Song builds
to its climax ("COME! and enjoy the rewards and crowns which I have
prepared for you!").
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrnW18872lI

I was wondering, of course, about the young woman who inspired Tavener, and
this clip includes some rare photos of her, courtesy of the family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyeC9xC08dg

This is one of those pieces that elicit great emotion from the singers
themselves. I had to hold on to that low F through the entire piece, and
it's difficult to just keep going, but especially so when your throat wants
to choke up.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente