[Magdalen] Sn*w!

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 18:58:17 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/8/2014 12:10:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:

Yes,  folks, it’s that time of the year again. That fluffy white stuff fell
for the  first time here yesterday, leaving just the slightest coating on
the ground  this AM. It will melt quickly, but still, a harbinger of things
to come.  >>>>

There have apparently been flurries in the extreme northern tier of
Pennsylvania, but not here at the edge of the Poconos.  If we  are
lucky it will be Christmas before anything accumulates.  OTOH  there
is this scary mention of a "polar vortex" this week secondary to the
remnants of a Pacific typhoon coming ashore in Alaska and the
Aleutians.

Three of my prize trees - a Tulip tree famously pulled out bare root
from a crack in the Procathedral asphalt parking lot and now 80'
in height, plus the two Dawn Redwoods, both also 80' - always worry
me this time of the year because they are very tardy at dropping  their
leaves/needles.  They are thus subject to severe damage if there  is
a heavy snow this early as there was about 5 years ago.  All  three
trees have repaired that damage, but they initially looked as  though
they had gone through an artillery barrage.

The Tulip tree is still a gorgeous yellow, and the Dawn Redwoods
are red-orange towers, but I'm hoping for a quick foliage drop  soon.

David Strang.