[Magdalen] Philae has landed!

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 12 23:18:29 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 23:05, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Basically that's why I didn't become an astronomer....too damn much math.
> OTOH, if I'd had decent math teachers in high school, I might have
> continued, but my algebra teacher freshman year would bore the [essentials]
> off a brass monkey, and my geometry teacher the next year couldn't teach a
> two year old to open and close a door....so I couldn't wait to get out of
> there.

I am convinced that if you are not mathematically gifted you need a good
teacher to do more than the basic arithmetic.  That is why when I was at
school the head of the Maths Department did not take the top set, he
left us to a good mathematician who could not teach. Having experienced
him I knew I should never teach math, which is what I would have done
had I become a teacher.

Roger