[Magdalen] Safely home

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 04:59:02 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/14/2014 11:23:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cervus51 at gmail.com writes:

Wait!  You have to be taught to read maps? I thought it was just  intuitive.
Honestly, I don't ever remember anyone teaching me about  them.>>>

At Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX, where the 300 physicians and
dentists in my class in late summer of 1966 marched like "lumps of
bunches" and "bunches of lumps", map reading was actually taught.

During our week at the infamous Camp Bullis where one can "experience
a dust storm while standing waist deep in mud", we had a night map
reading exercise that concluded with all hands being accounted for,
much to the relief of the seasoned Army Infantry teachers and the
numerous armadillos that we spooked during the exercise.

But what I remember best about Camp Bullis was the latrine which
consisted of 75 toilet stools in a row without any privacy screens
It.......took some getting used to.

David Strang, Major, US Army Medical Corps Europe, Retired.