[Magdalen] Pentecost 23

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:45:09 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pastor's opening comment in his sermon this morning: "After that reading
> from Zephaniah, and the Gospel reading about the talents, aren't you about
> ready for Pentecost to be over? I am."
>
> Giggles in the congregation.

Fr. Robert Farrar Capon's book on the parables of judgment came to my
rescue last night regarding the parable of the talents. A good thing,
as I had to work instead of getting to church today. Basically, he
pointed out that the servant who buried the talent is the same as the
man at the wedding without a wedding garment, the prodigal son's older
brother, the workers who worked all day, and some others: they were
already accepted by God...they were in the door at the banquet, they
were already given everything, but they acted like they were out, or
going to be thrown out. They didn't accept God's acceptance of them.
I'm not doing this justice, but it really opened things up for me.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA