[Magdalen] The last day and the first day

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Mon Nov 17 10:44:38 UTC 2014

Yesterday was my final day as organist at St. John's.

After the anthem, I was called to the top of the chancel steps, and the
rector said some very nice things about me and then prayed as the choir
gathered behind me laying on hands and the congregation stretched out
their arms.

At the announcements, the choir was asked to gather at the altar after
the postlude so we could take a group photo (since we had pretty much
full attendance). After that it was a reception in my honor, where I
believe the choir had brought all the food. I was presented by the
rector with a gift of a necklace with a silver cross with the four
evangelists.

I have not heard a single negative thing in response to sharing my news
with the parish. And I have heard so many positive and supportive things
that far exceed simple politeness. St. John's has definitely shown
itself at its best. In fact, I have heard of somebody who is apparently
now planning to attend, having heard of how well they have responded to
my news. That is certainly FAR from what I expected when I decided to be
open about myself, and certainly has me re-evaluating what little I had
thought I had decided about what happens beyond this point in terms of
church.

Of course, now this becomes even more real. Today has a real "first day"
feeling about it. And I think that was only added to by the fact that,
after a very early night, I ended up waking with the clock reading
"12:00". And there's both excitement and trepidation. But for today,
it's a day to enjoy the excitement, and celebrate getting to this point.
And maybe a day for an afternoon nap!

Kristin

--
  Kristin Rollins