[Magdalen] Nebraska (2013).

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 17 17:28:22 UTC 2014

From: Jay Weigel

>I had a dear friend from high school who taught, I think his entire career,
>at Alma. He taught economics. Oh, Jimbo, what brought you to that dismal
>science?

It's not at all dismal. In includes all the speculation of the un-knowable like
theology (and people get paid for that!) with the chance to actually do material
good in the real world to enhance the well-being of people everywhere.

How dismal could that combination be? It offers far more in the way of practical
solutions to the Gospel Imperative than any of the religious studies offer.

Jim Guthrie

PS In any case, I long ago narrowed my interests to American Economic and
Business History (which is where my PhD studies stalled due to a vast difference
of opinion re a dissertation topic <g>.