[Magdalen] Christ, the King

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:23:08 UTC 2014

Just read Val Fizzell's meditation on Christ the King and the parable of
the sheep and goats.

Something new struck me...Val mentioned that when a King ascended the
throne (including recent history in Britain) he would take a new name to
signify power and authority e.g. "George VI" instead of "Albert".

So Jesus is given a name, greater and more powerful than any other, before
which every knee will bow - the typical triumphalist picture so familiar to
most of us especially those with Evangelical backgrounds. He is Lord and
King.

But wait a minute...when is Jesus given his Royal name? According to
Scripture, before he was born, when Mary is told by the angel, "You shall
call his name, Jesus" (Luke) - or in Matthew's version, as Joseph is told
to give Mary's child this name, "for he shall save his people".

So when is he named, King? Not when he comes on the clouds, with angels, or
is seen by everyone as seated on the Throne of Heaven, but as he comes to
Mary's womb - without fanfare, but for the mysterious joy of angels and the
ecstatic prophecy of a teenage girl. Or at the latest, on the occasion of
his birth in a humble setting.

Food for thought about our many projections of "Christ the King" based on
notions of earthly power and lordship!

Sally D