[Magdalen] Stewardship video: Hello! Full Video -

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 00:08:58 UTC 2014

I believe that every public utterance by, or on behalf of, the church is
necessarily (though maybe not intentionally) evangelizing or
counterevangelizing.  When we mean to say "This is who we are, and we hope
you'll come and be with us," I think we need to be careful not to say "This
is who we are, and if you don't like that, then just walk right on by."

Not having seen "The Book of Mormon" I did not consider the possibility that
the video could be a parody.    I still believe that we should, nay MUST,
(1) welcome into our midst all who wish to come in, and (2) actively seek
out and invite those who have found themselves unwelcome in other
worshipping communities.

I am probably overreactive around this issue.  I acknowledge that for many
years I participated in congregations that sought and welcomed only those
who resembled those who were already present, and was blissfully unaware
that in so doing we were
excluding people who, though different from us in some way, were as much
beneficiaries of Jesus' love and as needful of saving grace as we were.

Grace, thank you for your irenic response to my post.

Don