[Magdalen] Stewardship video: Hello! Full Video -

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 20 21:52:22 UTC 2014

> And I do understand that all advertisers (including churches) must carefully
> consider exactly who they want to attract.  That said, the reaction to Lynn's
> post >suggests to me an attitude of "we certainly wouldn't want to attract the
> kind of people who like this video!" and I think that's sad.  In my view we'll
> never be >able to love the world and serve the world as we're called to do
> until we can get comfortable worshipping with people who are quite different
> from >ourselves--in politics, in education, in social class, in ethnicity, in
> "churchmanship."

Many Episcopal Churches certainly don’t want anyone coming in with different
ideas and different ways of expressing them. The private club they've
established they call a "parish church" in not for newcomers unless willing to
toe the line. And I think most people have accepted that because it serves as
their Sunday Comfort Zone.

Of course, part of that is the lame turn-off of calling members of the
Congregation to speak about "what this parish means to me so YOU should give far
more" speech a couple of Sundays in the Fall followed by giving out pledge
cards.. So many think that's a "Stewardship Campaign." Yeccch. Just assign the
last person to turn out the lights when the place runs out of money to pay the
priest and fix the roof.

And if a video attracts people in the Zero category or motivates people to
appreciate what there is in the parish (or Cathedral), so much the better.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie