[Magdalen] Advent co-opted

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:05:39 UTC 2014

At my physical therapy appointment yesterday I was absolutely floored as I heard the young therapists discussing a novel marketing ploy.

 You can now get a Beer Advent Calendar! Yes indeed! A case with dated compartments for December, each holding a bottle of artisanal beer.  I couldn't think of a single comment in the moment, but there does seem to be some sermon fodder there!

I couldn't help flashing back to the December in Germany when, as a 5-year-old girl, I received my first Advent calendar from our housekeeper. A real German one with a snowy scene and a hint of glitter and, of course, those magical little doors!

And every year after we moved back to the States,  a calendar would arrive in the mail--all the way from Germany!  For me, those simple German calendars are still the only authentic ones!

Beer Advent Calendar...faughh!