[Magdalen] Nature goes tee hee

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 03:10:19 UTC 2014

Jim,
The American Chestnut Foundation is based near here, and I have several friends who are very involved with this.
They are crossing American Chestnuts with the Chinese variety which is resistant to the blight. I have visited one of the nurseries and have seen the third-generation trees, which have been crossed back three times to provide proportionally more of the American genes.
Volunteers pollinate the trees by hand, sometimes using a cherry picker truck from the local power company, and enclose each flower in a bag until the nuts form.
There are still saplings that grow from the original chestnut trees in the mountains around here, and they can even grow large enough to produce nuts, but eventually they will succumb to the blight.