[Magdalen] Snowing now

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 00:48:57 UTC 2014

Doesn't matter - still against the law. There was a guy up in Coles Pond in
Walden who put out a feeding tray in back of his house so he could put up a
webcam of all the critters (bear and deer, among others) who came to it.
Fish and Game found out and sent a cease & desist, plus forbidding him to
even feed the birds for a month.

The problem is, that feeding wild animals like deer teaches them that people
= food. It's like the bears in Yellowstone & Yosemite - they can become real
pests and aren't so wild anymore. After the deer eat the windfall apples
(which in itself is OK), once the apples are gone, then they'll eat whatever
else they can find on your property - like your ornamental plants. Deer and
bear can be real pests, and, when you intentionally feed them, they become
more of a pest. Also, even if you aren't baiting them, once they associate
people and houses with food, it becomes much easier for hunters to kill
them.

My problem is that I have small apple trees, and the deer will eat the twigs
& branches in the winter, severely disrupting the tree's growth. Once the
trees are mature, it's not a problem. They also eat stuff in my garden in
the Fall, but a fence will take care of that.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com