[Magdalen] I hate Wal-Mart

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 20:55:52 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Mahoney, W. Michael
<wmmah at stoneledge.net> wrote:
> I am as fast at the scanning part as any of the clerks but no where near as
> fast at the packing.  So I choose self-check or clerk-check according to
> which I think will be quickest.  The fuller my cart, the more likely I am
> to choose the clerk.  I do, however, have a strong dislike for standing in
> line.

Our local supermarket chains until a few years ago -- Jewel and
Dominick's -- each had self-checkouts mainly because the other one
did. Then Dominick's went away, and Jewel immediately removed theirs.
I would applaud this if there were a simultaneous commitment to
keeping enough checkouts open, but no: typically there's a line down a
grocery aisle of people waiting for one of the express lanes. The
store still hasn't figured out that most of their customers are on
foot and using public transport, not an SUV. So most will have just a
few items.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA