[Magdalen] Thanksgivings Past.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:14:30 UTC 2014

Alexander Griswold Cummins was rector at Christ Church, Poughkeepsie from
ca. 1900 to 1946. He died very shortly after the powers that be told him he
couldn't be the rector anymore, and he was said to have continued to occupy
the church for decades.

He was a low church person, and one of his most famous appearances was when
new rector, James Pike, first put candles on the altar.  As soon as Jim lit
the candles, a breeze would arise and blow them out. Hellooooo Fr. Cummins.

Fr. Cummins made most of his appearances as a bat.  On one occasion, he
dive bombed Pike, literally driving him from the sanctuary and down a hall
to the rector's study. Seminarian Paul Moore was present at the time and
affirmed that this did happen.

When I was new in town, at a regular service, prayers were offered for the
departed as usual, except on this Sunday, prayers were offered for a lady
whom I understood to be a particularly dear friend of Fr. Cummins.  As the
name was read, we all noticed a bat suddenly appear and flit about the
sanctuary, then vanish.

Bats can get into buildings through tiniest holes, but it does make one
wonder...

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente