[Magdalen] serendipitous purchases

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 20:10:36 PDT 2014

In a message dated 10/5/2014 8:17:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

The  other was
"Refuge and Strength" by the choir of St. Luke's in the Field,  which is a
collection of psalms in various genres from Anglican chant to  Russian
Orthodox. It includes the Allegri "Miserere" which is very nicely  done
except for being in English. Sorry to be such a snob, but it just does  not
scan properly or sound right in English! Just because we are  Episcopalians,
we can't sing in  Latin?>>>>>

Yes indeed.  You're more likely to have choral music in Latin
(with English translations in the service leaflet) in Episcopal  churches
than in the RCC.

I agree I can't imagine the Allegri in anything but Latin.

St. Luke in the Fields has an excellent music tradition, and it was  the
home parish of both my friends, Howard Galley and Mason Martens.
Both were Solemn High Masses there, that of Howard, a Requiem in
black vestments, and Mason's was a "Mass of the Resurrection" in
gold and white vestments.  The music was sublime for both  funerals
as would be expected for two such stellar personalities.

David Strang.