[Magdalen] Overtone singing.

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 23:02:32 PDT 2014

That is exactly what it is.

Maria gives a very nice demo. She has a lovely voice, reminds me of people
I met in Russia. I'm not sure how the overtones form, but it is
interesting.  I can't imagine using it, but I'm sure lots of folks have,
and of course in the cultures where they do it as a folk art (it's in
practically every continent), has a rich repertoire.

Unfortunately, whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the quest of Richard
Feynman and his friend to visit Tuva, "the center of Asia."  They were
trying to get the trip together and were keeping it a secret from Richard,
and he died of cancer just a very short time before the visa approvals came.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente