[Magdalen] Aaron: Sin of a Priest

Robert Rea gapetard at stsams.org
Mon Oct 13 18:25:54 UTC 2014

Exodus 32:1-14

So Moses, the prophet to whom alone god speaks, has gone up the mountain and
not come back for days and days. There are clouds and fire and explosions up
there. His followers are wondering what happened to him, afraid for him. And
even more afraid for themselves. Without him they are lost and bereft of God.

So they come to Aaron the priest, his spokesperson and ask him for gods. They
need consolation; they need comfort. They bring him all that gold they had
ripped off from their Egyptian master. Aaron makes an image of a calf and
tells them this is their God. Then they party down to eat, drink, and make
merry.

This doesn't sit well with God. they have abandoned God for the work of their
own hands. Moses barely prevents God from wiping them off the face of the
earth.

There's a lesson here for priest and other pastors. As a priest myself, and
spiritual director, I am in no position to tell you what lessons to draw. We
are all to search them out for our own selves.

--
Bob Rea
mailto:gapetard at stsams.org
http://www.petard.us
http://www.petard.us/blog
http://www.petard.us/gallery

America, it was a wonderful country
        until they took it private
        and turned it into a theme park of itself