[Magdalen] neat comparisons

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 16:07:56 UTC 2014

interesting words today in "The  Writers Almanac"  .... considering the ways
this thread has been discussing stars and black holes...

It's the birthday of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche (books by this author),
born in the Prussian village of Röcken (1844). He was a philosopher who
loved literature, and he experimented with different literary styles to
express his philosophy. His most famous book, Thus Spake Zarathustra (1883),
describes a prophet who comes down from the mountains to teach people about
the coming of a new kind of superman, but the people he speaks to only
ridicule and laugh at him.

He's perhaps best known for claiming that "God is dead," but most people
forget that he actually said, "God is dead ... and we have killed him!" He
thought that the absence of God from the world was a tragedy, but he felt
that people had to accept that tragedy and move on. He wrote that God was
like a star whose light we can see, even though the star died long ago. Much
of his philosophy is about how people might live in a world without God and
without absolute morality. At the time of his death on August 25, 1900,
almost no one had heard of him, but after his work was republished, it had a
huge impact on the philosophers of the 20th century.

He said: "[W]e should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at
least once."

Lynn
website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, “People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall.”

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi