[Magdalen] Il pleut a verse.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 14:18:19 UTC 2014

We've had a relatively dry summer, and we were down about 7 inches
from the average.  That is until yesterday, when 5 inches came down  in
a steady downpour.

I don't know about flooding from this deluge, but mostly, I suspect,  the
hungry soil just lapped it up.

In the midst of the steady rain yesterday, I had some errands, and as  a
result drove back and forth through the mountains in what is just  about
peak time for autumn color.  The early trees - here mostly Red Maple  and
Black Gum - are at peak, and the five species of oak are coloring  well,
if not at peak.

I ended up going through a little-frequented neighborhood and was
surprised at the large number of hickories in residents' yards.  These  are
mostly Mockernut Hickories, but there are some Shagbark Hickories,  too.
I caught them in full color - a deep butter yellow - and they will now  lose
their leaves very quickly.

Hickories are unusual in landscaping schemes because of their  prodigious
tap roots.  Thus, hickories either are left over when  the home
construction occurs, or are transplanted from a container which  prevents
the
tap root development.  Few nurseries seem to bother with them, and  that's
unfortunate.

I think the rain and mist made the autumn landscapes all that more
beautiful, and the color was almost visual overload.

David Strang.