[Magdalen] Pray for GTS today

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 18 11:28:45 UTC 2014

charles.wohlers at verizon.net> wrote:

> Worst case scenario: They'll lose accreditation due to how they've treated
> the faculty, and close in a year or two.
> Best case scenario: They limp along, damaged by all the bru-ha-ha, and
> close in ten years.

Well, the faculty walked out -- so that was their choice. One might suggest that
they went in with the firing possibility eyes wide open, and knew that was a
possible outcome. If not, one might question the faculty's own qualifications
for teaching in that environment.

As for closing the seminary -- well, given the huge operating losses and debt
involved, the status of the faculty as far as closing the place is strictly
lodged somewhere out there in fantasyland. It should be noted that the faculty
has been so wrapped up in themselves that this 800-lb gorilla in the room has
not been something they cared one whit about -- even as they went for several
years without a Dean.

I suspect that in the long run, GTS and Union will merge, reflecting the reality
of church decline. I realize that selling the GTS property would create lots of
justifiable sadness; OTOH, some of the Union facilities might be attractive to
Columbia University so that there might be more opportunity to used facilities
at GTS.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

Cheers,