[Magdalen] Safely arrived

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:42:59 UTC 2014

"People may spend their whole lives climbing the ladder of success only to
find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is leaning against the wrong
wall."

This reminds me of a photo I saw in BAR.

In Jerusalem, church affairs are based on agreements forged by the Ottoman
Empire. Certain domains are specifically assigned to certain faiths, and in
the standoff between these feuding and hateful disciples of Our Lord, the
boundaries are rigidly and spitefully adhered to.

So it is that due to an arcane division, established many moons ago, it is
virtually impossible to repair a window in certain churches without getting
heads of state together to hammer out an agreement of who does what. And
because of this, a ladder has been leaning against the wall next to a
church window for decades, undisturbed, because moving this ladder would
constitute the incursion of one domain into the boundaries of another.

Then, one morning, some wag looked up and saw that the ladder was moved,
and now leaned against the wall on the other side of the same window. BAR
helpfully published pictures of the ladder before and after the mid-night
switch.  It only meant the ladder had moved about ten feet, but it caused
quite a firestorm.  After a while, one morning, it was found the ladder had
quietly been returned to its former silly position.  And the world was once
again a safe place.

Other thoughts on the quote:

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up someplace
else."

both of these quotes can be attributed to the man who for years wrote
nothing but small items to place in blanks at the end of news articles, the
venerable Phillip A. Space.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente