[Magdalen] Two updates.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 23 02:18:53 UTC 2014

No update on my friend yet.  I'm awaiting more conversation with her this evening, at which time I'll know more.  (Thanks so much for the prayers.)

First, Mom.  After not hearing from her for a week since she emailed saying she's was being put into assisted living permanently, I called yesterday and she is indeed doing okay.  I was right, though, that the general impression that she was okay with the change was in fact bogus.  "They put me here against my wishes!"  But she also said it was because she "fell three times" (I only heard of two, but who am I to argue at this distance?).  I didn't say anything, because at 86 she's still able to do basic math.  The good news (for those not upset that she's being required to adjust to her new life) is that she's walker in the apartment, and wheelchair outside of it, for which I say Wa-hoo.  Yesterday she got wheeled to bingo, apparently the first time she's been "social" since the change.  Basically, we'll see if the change in living arrangements really will make her more of a social being.  I'll conclude with what she started the conversation with.  "Oh, I just don't know if it's worth it to keep on living."  Like I needed to hear that THIS week.  Sheesh!

Second, work.  It is entirely possible that the work my section does will, as potentially surmised nearly a year ago, be transferred to the department my former boss now heads up.  Since I first talked about that possibility, I've changed my view of the idea of working for him again.  Not on your life.  Both I and my co-worker have decided that if it can be managed, we choose to stay with the Water Resources Agency in different capacities than before.  It's been floated rather cogently by more than one person now that I'd be good as a replacement for the soon-departing right-of-way agent.  His main work is assessment (tax)-related, which is a really big numbers game, but within established parameters I'm convinced I could manage learning a new task.  I learned my current tasks whole cloth 13 years ago, so I could do it again, I figure.  He also works with our grazing leases at both of our reservoirs.  That involves periodic auctions.  I could do that.