[Magdalen] gas prices?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 04:50:43 UTC 2014

In a message dated 10/23/2014 11:06:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

Two  dollars a gallon would have had people screaming back when  >>>

When I returned from my four year Army adventure out of
Frankfurt/M, Germany, I was used to quartermaster prices for regular
fuel of about 25 cents/gallon.  High test (Esso only) was about 30  cents
a gallon.

Back home in 1970 in Wisconsin, the regular fuel was 35 cents a gallon,
but there were numerous and almost continuous price wars between the
major oil companies and the many small independents (Clarks Super
100 Gasoline, Wisco 99, etc.), and the average price for regular
ended up at about 18 cents a gallon.  There were some extreme  low
prices of 13-14 cents/gallon.

That all lasted until the first fuel crisis during the Nixon
Administration.

It all seems like life on another planet.

David Strang.