[Magdalen] potos of October 23 solar eclipse

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:11:57 UTC 2014

Thanks so  much for the link!  What fascinating pictures!  So much
variety.  This never gets old.

One thing that I get a kick out of is looking at the eclipse in one picture
and then, in the next, from a very different part of the earth, the eclipse
is obviously the same, but "spun" around to a very different angle, giving
me momentary sense of great instability.

Some day I would love to be at the Grand Canyon for an eclipse.  Two
reasons. First, owing to the dry climate, the sky is likely to be clear as
a bell.  Secondly, as the shadow of the eclipse approaches, you can see it
travel from the great distance at incredible speed (and departing just as
dramatically) The man who reported this said that the incredible speed with
which it happens, yet without the slightest sound, is kind of disorienting,
and left him feeling almost like he'd been punched in the gut.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente