[Magdalen] Magdalen] gas prices?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 25 20:28:29 UTC 2014

A fine, brave doctor! God Bless him.

Cheers,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Boyd
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:14 PM
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] Magdalen] gas prices?

When I came to believe that my mom's driving made her a danger "to self
and/or others," I called her ophthalmologist and told him what I'd seen.  He
said, get her in here and I'll do the rest.  So he had his assistant call
her to schedule a visit (her memory was by then far enough gone that she
didn't notice that the between-visits interval was shorter than usual), and
as usual she drove herself to the appointment.  Examination finished, the
doc told Mom, "Mrs Boyd, I'm sorry, but I have to ask you to give me your
car keys.  If, knowing what I know now about your eyesight,  I let you leave
here able to drive, I could be sued into bankruptcy when you hit
somebody...and you will hit somebody--maybe not on your way home today, but
soon.  And you have to promise me that you will never, ever, drive again."

She said, "Don put you up to this, didn't he?"  And he said, "Well, he did
tell me he was worried about your driving," and she said (meekly), "I knew
this day was coming, I just didn't know it would be today," and handed him
the keys.  The doc's assistant having called me when she scheduled Mom's
appointment, I was waiting in the parking lot (my wife had dropped me off),
and the doc walked Mom out to her car and handed me the keys.  He told her,
"Mrs. Boyd, I know this is upsetting, but I want you to stay alive as long
as you can and this is the most important thing I can do today to help with
that.  Now, when you get home, give Don any spare keys you have, and he'll
take the car to his place so you won't be tempted."  Mom (fighting back
tears), "Yes, I'll do that.  Old age is not for sissies."  And the nearest
thing to a complaint I heard from her after that was a comment on one of the
volunteer drivers who took her to medical appointments after that:  "She's a
worse driver than I was when Dr Thorne took my keys away from me."

Don in Austin