[Magdalen] Update on Scott the Younger

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 10 17:59:12 PDT 2014

From: Scott Knitter

>Well, we just had a lovely fracas in front of his dad. Crap. Ran out
>of patience. <sigh>

Sometimes, when actually putting the safety plan in effect, things can get so
out of hand that even the hospital emergency room isn't sure who's the patient
and who's the caregiver. This is not uncommon and should not be unexpected given
the stress of the situation.

Don’t bet yourself up about it.

The ER visit and the Urgent Care follow-up sounds like you've really lucked out.
And the news of the meds in interesting as well. But I think you know that
adjusting/changing meds in this situation is often fraught.

We've just finished sessions with a new therapist and new psychiatrist here in
Scranton -- No changes for now, but we're watching carefully for any post-move
manifestations of stress. Albert's therapist in Brooklyn arranged for the
appointments and set everything up, so that really took a load off.

But one piece of advice: withdraw, for awhile, from any activities that also
stress you out. I realize one can’t do that with the job so much, but anything
else -- including church -- may require you to beg off or say "no" (which I know
you've had problems doing). They will understand and they will get along without
you for a few weeks. And so will anyone else who cares one whit for your health.
Take the time for yourself, and avoid situations where the stress in your
personal life boils over in front of others, or worse, ends up directed at them.

Jim Guthrie

Jim Guthrie --