[Magdalen] Move Over Misogyny.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 09:03:57 PDT 2014

I was startled by reading an article in the USA weekly "The Week",
a magazine which I heartily recommend, that included the word,
"misandry" with accent on the first syllable.  I assumed, from  its
roots, that it means the dislike of men (males).

It does, and it's been there all along - according to  Merriam-Webster,
since about 1909.

There's "misanthropy" for a general dislike of humankind.

I've always wondered what the opposite of the frequently encountered
 word,"misogyny" might be, and there it is.  I've encountered a  fair number
of persons who show one or the other of these attitudes through the  years.

David Strang.