[Magdalen] Temporarily Lutheran

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 16 13:56:54 PDT 2014

On 16/09/2014 14:08, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In the olden days prior to Vatican-2, you could get an idea of the
> churchmanship (high/low) of an Episcopal parish via whether they
> observed either Reformation Sunday (low church) or Christ the King
> (high church) on the last Sunday of October.

In the C/E where we don't have a single official hymnbook you simply
have to look at what hymnal they use.  New English Hymnal - high;
Ancient & Modern - middle of the road; Mission Praise or about anything
else - low.

> Observance of Christ the King in Episcopal parishes was considered
> almost sinfully high church, actually.  It's a johnny-come-lately  feast
> with political overtones from 1925.
>
> Vatican-2, of course, moved Christ the King to what had been the
> Sunday Next Before Advent, and the feast found itself listed in  TEC
> calendar.

as it is now in the Church of England Calendar.  Indeed the period from
All Saints Day to Advent Sunday is called the Kingdom Season with red as
the optional liturgical colour.

Roger