[Magdalen] Film puke.

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 16:19:40 PDT 2014

We did not have television until my senior year in high school (1954-55),
and only one channel (CBS) was availaable.  The TV set most certainly was
not located anywhere near the kitchen, where we ate except when there was
Company.  I was allowed to watch certain inoccuous programs if and only if
my school work for the next day was done.  When I got to college no one had
TV in the dorm rooms but there were lounges on each floor that had TV sets
and all three major networks (no PBS then).  I remember the early Steve
Allen shows on "Tonight," with the "man on the street" sketches involving
Don Knotts, Tom Poston, Louis Nye, Bill Dana, and a couple of other
repeating characters that I remember but do not remember the names of the
actors who played them.  The presidential election of 1956 was a major
highlight, even though my preferred candidate (Adlai Stevenson) had not a
chance against the incumbent Eisenhower.

I don't remember when Newton Minow characterised TV as a 'vast wasteland'
(or was he talking only of daytime TV?) but in those years when I had
nothing but radio to compare it to I thought TV was Wonderful.

Don in Austin