[Magdalen] Whither Scotland?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 18 16:41:59 PDT 2014

On 18/09/2014 20:57, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> I see the polls close in Scotland at 10 PM which is, I think this  time
> of the year, 4 PM EDT North America.

Apart from a few weeks of the year when the USA is on daylight saving
but Europe is not Eastern Time is five hours behind British time.

> An incredible 97% of eligible voters have registered to vote, and
> this now includes 16 and 17 year olds.

That age group is a concern for some of us.  They could be more likely
to vote on emotion without thinking about implications..

> There has been some news coverage of Scots voting, and in every
> case there were paper ballots being dropped into a box.
>
> While this style is still common in some parts of the USA, I've
> always voted via "voting machine".
>
> It's going to be a long night for the Scots, particularly if all  votes
> are tabulated by hand.

That gives greater assurance over the result and the count will be quite
quick.  This is a simple Yes/No on a single issue.  The only questions
will be whether or not the voter has made their intention clear and
whether or not there is some writing or other mark that could indicate
who case a particular ballot, which would invalidate that ballot.

The first official turnout figure (from Orkney who mostly voted by post)
was a phenomenal 84%.  Other figures have suggested as high as 90% in
some areas.  Scotland really has spoken.

Roger