[Magdalen] This saying No is tough

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:20:42 PDT 2014

I have trouble saying No, to say the least. Recently I did say no to
taking on a continuing role as an editor/writer/interviewer/idea
person for the revived parish newsletter. Felt borderline good/awful
but I did it. What I'd change: not follow up the no-saying with "Sorry
I flaked out" or some such.

Now we've got a reception coming up to honor our choirmaster for 30
years as choirmaster. He's great, so I jumped on the request from a
vestry member to post on the website and Facebook page about the
celebration right away. And I appreciated the vestry member's writing
an article and giving me good photos, so all I had to do was post.

She asked later if I would say a few words at the reception, and I
begged off, saying we have a house guest that weekend (we do, and I'm
as usual filled with anxiety about that) and didn't know if I'd be
allowed to be at the reception so couldn't be counted on to say a few
words (about five minutes, which sounds like more than a few words).
She still left it that maybe I could have something ready in case I am
there and am called on. Always the door is kept open to my maybe
saying yes after all. Should have closed that door.

Now the choirmaster's wife is phoning me on both my phones and leaving
messages about talking further about the celebration and what's on the
website...She is obviously trying to give me a project. When the
second phone rang, I threw it down the hallway.

My attitude at the moment is that if she can't email me what she wants
to say, I can't help her. But I'll try to keep the anger out of it and
just let the message be No, I can't take on anything right now.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA