[Magdalen] St Michael's, Glastonbury Tor.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 22 16:16:36 PDT 2014

Looking at
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/glastonbury-tor/view/?service=0
there is room on the ridge for a relatively small nave.  They did not
need a large nave to accommodate a lot of people but they wanted a tower
that could be seen for miles around.  It must be over 20 years since I
was there around the turn of the year and walked up the Tor and
certainly I had no sense that the tower was anything but what waqs
claimed - all that remained of a church.

Ground penetrating radar might well indicate the remains of walls but in
the absence of such evidence I am still prepared to accept that there
was a church on that site.  Given the flooding that can (and does) occur
in that area a prominent tower on a natural hill would have been
reassuring to the faithful.

Roger