[Magdalen] This saying No is tough

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 23 05:50:02 PDT 2014

From: Susan Hagen

>It is tough but it gets much easier with practice.  The important
>thing is to never, ever, get drawn into explanations.  No is no.

In Scott's situation, it may even be that the explanation will have no effect at
all, let alone saying, "No" or even "Not right now.."

>From what Scott has related, he's been willing and able to do what he's been
asked, but right now he's dealing with personal issues that need time and
clear-thinking and relief from obligations.

In a "normal" parish where there's great concern and care for each other, the
situation would be understood, and other parish members would pitch in, with no
explanation needed. But Scott's situation is challenging because it appears that
neither fellow parishioners nor the Rector give much of a hoot about his
situation.

This is not about burnout, or offering ones gifts as one is able. It's about
Christian Community, or lack of it, I think.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie