[Magdalen] The Deen controversy

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 07:34:09 PDT 2014

That was exactly my experience, Jay, except I don't remember actually saying either word. My understanding was that, if God didn't strike me dead. The irony was that my parents thought nothing of using every other ethnic pejorative you can think of. In fact, my mother once referred to my son as "my little Wop grandson." I went ballistic!
Oddly enough, I never actually heard anyone say the F-word until I was 29, though I had seen it written on plenty of lavatory stall doors. Someone new to our therapy group said it, and I literally thought I was going to pass out or throw up. Such power we give words...